- EAS Annual Conference: Eastern Apiculture Society will be holding its 2014 annual conference at Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond campus July 27 through August 1 http://www.ksbabeekeeping.org/?page_id=222
- ALL WE ARE SAYING IS GIVE BEES A CHANCE – Get out the vote!
The raffle for a donated hive by Whole Foods University Heights is underway and the voting is competitive. We have a strong case, but we encourage beekeepers to vote for RIC–or another choice– to demonstrate support of the bees. The voting continues until July 29….
RIC and RIBA are entering the Whole Foods raffle again this year for a donated hive for RIC. We fell short last year, but have a better chance this year if we can “get the vote out.” This means stopping by the Whole Foods store in University Heights and voting for RIC as the institution to receive the donated hive.
In 2011 two beehives for public education were installed on the campus of Rhode Island College (RIC) in collaboration with RIBA. Since 2011, RIC has become engaged with beekeeping education and with RIBA. RIC hosted the RIBA Bee Schools in 2013 and 2014 at the Beginner and Intermediate levels–in March and in July– that that have educated about 250 students in each year. RIC hosted a RIBA meeting in the summer of 2013, and Jim Murphy, RIC’s Sustainability Coordinator, facilitates educational visits to the hives for K-12 students where he opens them and demonstrates the tools and techniques of beekeeping as well as offering general information about bees, most recently for a group of pre-schoolers. RIC is among a handful of institutions of higher education to become involved with bees and beekeeping. A Bee Education Center has been designed and funded to be an Outdoor Classroom near to the hives that should be built in the next month or so. The design was created by students at “Down City Design” and is inspired by the shape and form of beehive comb. A hive donated to the RIC apiary will enhance our efforts in both education and research regarding bees and beekeeping and demonstrate the commitment to these goals by Whole Foods. We thank you and the community for its support!
- Congratulations to Queen Rearing Workshop grant recipients Don Joslin and John Moore.
- Our May 4th meeting featured a guest from the USDA Farm Service Agency, Ingrid Frantantuono, CED. The presentation included information about the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP) ELAP Honeybee Fact Sheet April 2014 . Ingrid sent a link to the RI Farm Service Agency’s Home page (USDA). Their latest Newsletter is always available on their home page, and there are some interesting articles there: http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/stateoffapp?mystate=ri&area=home&subject=landing&topic=landing If you have questions, you may call Ingrid at 401-828-3120 option 2
- Here is a link to US Dept. of Agriculture for submitting samples of dead bees for diagnosis: http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=7472
- 2014.05.02 Notes from April EB meeting
- Here is a link to RI Statutes Title 4 Animals and Animal Husbandry/ Chapter 4-12 Apiculture: http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE4/4-12/INDEX.HTM
- State of Rhode Island 2014 Apiary Registration Form
- RIBA Brochure
- RIBA Newsletter – Fall 2013
- RIBA Newsletter – Summer 2013