The latest episode of The RIBA NEWSLETTER … February/March 2017
Missed the last episode? click here:
Days of Our Hives – Winter 2017 We are already working on the next edition! Articles, announcements and contributors sought. Contact our Editor, Cynthia Holt at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Links and Downloads:
- Gypsy Moth Spray Recipe
Simple Soap Solution
Soap has been used for centuries as an all-purpose pesticide. It disrupts insects’ cell membranes, and kills pests by dehydration. The key is not to use too much soap, or you’ll also kill the vegetation near the pests. If you follow the proportions of soap to water in the Soap Spray recipe, below, the vegetation should be fine.
Note: Buy a liquid soap and not a detergent. Health food stores have liquid soaps, such as Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castile Soaps.
1 to 2 tablespoons liquid soap
1 quart water
Combine ingredients in a bucket, mix, and then transfer to a spray bottle as needed.
It is best to use any type of spray in the early morning or the cool of evening.
Target just the area you need to treat. Be careful… try not to harm the good guys! You don’t want to run off your allies.
When working with sprays or dusts always protect your exposed skin and face.
- Please check out the “Can Mushrooms Save the Honey Bee?” – bioGraphic at https://goo.gl/QmNMAb.
- Download the 2017 RI DEM Apiary Registration Form
- Highlighted at the February 19, 2017 meeting by Jim Lawson: Bait Hives – Seeley and Morse
- Also, while too large to keep on this website you can view or download Jim’s other handout: USDA Farmer’s Bulletin No. 1198 “Swarm Control” HINT – Scroll down past the first notification page.
- Oxalic Acid Treatment Protocol Trickle Method handout and an example of Dr. Jane’s mite graph from November 15, 2016 meeting.
- Here is a link to US Dept. of Agriculture for submitting samples of dead bees for diagnosis: http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=7472
- Here is a link to RI Statutes Title 4 Animals and Animal Husbandry/ Chapter 4-12 Apiculture: http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE4/4-12/INDEX.HTM
- RIBA Brochure
- RIBA Newsletter – Fall 2013
- RIBA Newsletter – Summer 2013
In the news:
- RIBA article in the Warwick Beacon: http://warwickonline.com/stories/ri-s-buzzing-community,120507
- RIBA’s Own in the news: RI National Public Radio interviews Ed Lafferty on threats to honey bees.
- New York Times Aimed at Zika Mosquitoes, Spray Kills Millions of Honeybees
- Washington Post “Like it’s been nuked” Millions of bees dead after South Carolina sprays for Zika mosquitoes
- CNN Zika spraying kills millions of honeybees
- 2016 EAS Convention Highlights and more pictures from Scott and Emily Langlais at Providence Bees